Saturday, July 28, 2012

5. Life

My dad worked in the ship building industry, big boats like the U. S. S. Kittyhawk and the such.  We were not rich, but we were not poor either.  We didn't want for much, we had a nice home and my mom sewed all of us girls clothes as well as her own.  The only person she did not sew for was my dad, but I don't think that men's clothing was as expensive as women's and with a house full of girls I'm sure my mom's sewing helped out quite a bit.

We never went anywhere extravagant, but we always went somewhere.  Up to the mountains for the day with a basket in tow, or just up to the local restaurant where my mom and dad would get a steaming cup of coffee and us kids would get hot chocolate with the whipped cream piled high.  All the more better if it had been snowing and a piece of pie accompanied the hot beverages.

Sometimes we would go fishing with my dad just out to the local beach.  Our fishing poles dangling over the pier into the waves below.  Nothing like when you got a bite, the power of the fish and the excitement of bringing it in.  We had so much fun.  I remember one particular time, I was very young, maybe six and I had my eye on a seagull that I thought I was going to catch.  I was just about to grab that bird when my dad called out to me and scared it away.  I had no idea what I was going to do with that bird, but I wanted it and was so upset when it flew away out of my reach.  My dad would make us girls gut our own fish.  I was all girl, but I think that it taught us something about life.  With the good sometimes comes the bad and you just have to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment